Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Monday, October 8, 2012

Exploring

Lime Kiln Trails
Today was only my second time on these trails.  The first was in March of 2011, when Khari spooked & threw me!   This time was much more pleasant - but somewhat disappointing.  I'd hoped that some of the trails went someplace...  They really don't now, but I suspect that they have in the past.
Heading out from the trail head~
 We took the only trail out from the trail head & followed it forward & upward.  On the way I saw several spurs, but decided as usual to go up at any intersection that offered the option.  We found a really great view at the top of the climb.
Looking NW through the haze~
 The end, was a blocked off area, where the road had probably continued on.  No way through & no idea what would be on the other side.  So we turned back the way we'd come.
One of the Granite Falls Quarry's
 On the way down, we did get a nice view of one of the quarry's in the area.  I could see the southern side of Three Fingers too.
This is the south end of Deer Mountain
 I can see this logging from home, but I look more at the west face of the mountain, here we were further to the south.  Not pretty...  We took every spur of trail that I found on the way back, all leading to piles of slash & growth that blocked any further travel.  There are still one or two that I could see once I'd downloaded my GPS info. to Google earth.  Want to make another trip up to check those out.  Was nice to be out in the late afternoon.  I don't think I have to worry much about getting lost, as Farah was quite sure when we made the correct turn - finally - back toward the trailer!

2 comments:

  1. The trail head photo is gorgeous. Love the patches on the mountains in the other shots. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a nice trail! Do you use the back country horsemen trail guide to find your trails? I can't wait to get the horses out on some trails next year, there are some lovely trails a few minutes from my house.

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~