Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The More I Learn...

Sandra schooling Farah~
...  the less I know!  Watching an accomplished rider & what Sandra can do with Farah is really something to see.  As Dean told me early on, it's much easier to learn things the right way, than unlearn old habits & replace them with new.  Having always admired riders who make it look so easy - I'm now understanding a little more about how difficult it is to attain that level of competence!

To watch how Farah responds to clear signals, gives me the motivation to continue to learn all I can & be able to communicate with her well enough that she can understand me that well!  :-)  The new bit came in the mail in time for our class & worked beautifully.  I appreciated the way Sandra takes the time to answer my questions & her explanation of how the bit works & why it works the way it does.

Not having the time this month to practice between lessons, we have to go back to "refresh" mode each time.  Even that is a good thing for me though - as each time it reinforces what it is I'm working to achieve.  Watching Sandra gives me the visual picture to keep in my mind as I ride, trying to remember how & when to cue!  It could be frustrating - like the first days of any new goal you decide to work toward...  Baby steps - it's all about baby steps.  Again, when Farah does understand my clumsy attempts & I feel her respond & just the feel tells me it's right - another star goes on the plus side of the board :-)

Like Butch told someone the other day;  "Connie's ridden for over twenty-years & now she's taking lessons!"  :-)  It is fun on a cold rainy day to get out, spend the morning working & feel good when we're through!

4 comments:

  1. That's great you have found a good local instructor! I find it really motivating to take lessons, even just to hang around with accomplished horsemen gets me all fired up:) and it seems there's always more to learn- as your title says!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so important to have someone who explains not only what they do and how, but WHY. It's good to see you've found that person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like knowing the "why" of the "how" :-) Or visa/versa? The "look" of a horse moving in a nice round frame is so beautiful~

      Delete

Always Welcome~