Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Friday, March 18, 2011

Arabian "SpOOk" ~

Patty on the trail~
Why is it that even a good horse, will do a nasty spook?  We were on beautiful trails, really nice morning, looking forward to a nice ride!  But plans can & do occasionally go south...  Khari has always done a pretty good job of keeping me in the saddle, but today, trotting up a nice wide logging road, she looked to the left, where there was a blue/white ribbon blowing in the breeze, then a split second later... spun with enough force to send me flying off her right shoulder!   I was riding in my Big Horn saddle - so no security there... 

My GPS recorded a 7 mph to 0 speed.  It felt like a lot of impact - especially on the hard packed gravel of the old logging road.  After spending due time moaning & groaning... going over a mental check-list of parts & how badly they hurt...  I managed to get to my feet.
Scene of the "Crime"
Patty's nice gelding, seeing Khari's violent reaction to What???  A horse eating bear maybe?   Followed her lead... & tossed Patty too.  Luckily, she was unhurt -- but he did take off down the road as fast as he could go!  Were we having fun yet???
Injured me, lost horse...  We started hiking back, took a wrong turn, realized our mistake & got back on track.  About 1/2 mile from the parking -- here was Patty's horse!  He nickered & came right up to us!  What a good boy!  No injuries, he wasn't wild eyed & seemed happy that we were finally there!
All's well that ends well, nothing broken as far as I know, both horses uninjured.  Now -- can I heel up fast enough to ride next weekend?  Keep your fingers crossed for me!

1 comment:

  1. Fingers are crossed for a quick recovery! There was something in the air yesterday, I think: Fiddle was loaded for bear for at least the first 6 miles of our ride....

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~