Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Bits & Bitting~

Mylar Combination Bit
First let me say that I know nothing about bits!  All I know, or at least try to understand - is what seems to work for my mare.  After the early years of making many mistakes, thinking that a harsh bit would give me a manageable horse etc., trying no bit & having a run-a-way in competition, etc.  By the time I bought Khari, I had gained enough smarts to ask for expert help.  Khari was started in the bit above & it worked really well for all the years I had her.

With Farah now though, I'm working with a very intelligent mare, who responds differently to different bits.  Working with more collection & trying to teach her to work off her rear has me trying new bits.  The latest that worked really well in our first level Cowboy Dressage test, but in using it, I'd probably jumped ahead of where we're at in our training.
Curb with shanks
 I've also been trying different trainers & learning lots of new things.  For the second time yesterday, a change in bit was suggested.  There was one available to try, a simple snaffle with rings;
 I hadn't used this type of bit for forever, because you really don't have a stop & I value stop.  This is a learning level bit - one that will make it easier for Farah to understand what I'm asking of her & she was very willing & responsive in it - in the arena :-)  I'm going to go ahead & buy one to use when we practice.  We'll see how well she does in it out on the trail!

After a shorter drive than usual, I had a really good lesson at Ensbrook with Sandra.  She is well versed in both Western & Cowboy Dressage & seems willing to take on a pair of newbies. :-)
I'd love to hear what you use & how you came to use it - why you like it~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~