Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Monday, March 25, 2013

All in a Day's Ride~

A convoluted 20-miles!
Farah...  her only "excuse" was that we didn't get out as much as usual last week.  Friday afternoon I opened the pasture gate to let her up to the barn.  Instead, she ran through the gate I'd left open out to the yard & raced up the hill into the woods at 90 mph.  I stood helpless as she ripped through my trails, jumping ferns in a single bound, sinking into the trails 6" with every step & knocking over an old rotted stump!  Finally she came back down the hill, slid across the paving on the driveway & raced back into the paddock for a big nice drink!

I was furious!  So - since the weather was to stay nice, I tried to find someone that was heading out on Sun. for a nice long, fast paced ride.  Dory agreed to let me tag along with her - which I knew would be a very fast ride!  When I arrived at the Bracken Rd. parking to the tree farm, it was packed with trailers, horses, more than I think I've ever seen!  Among all the people there were some endurance "friends" who invited me along with them, since their plan was for at least 15-miles at an endurance pace.   Another rider was accompanying us.  Once on the trails, I was told to go ahead & lead.  Away we went - but after less than a mile the lady behind me said;  "Wait, we've lost the others."  I turned around to find that she & I were the only two riders on the trail?  Where were the other three???  We turned back, looked, hailed, called - no answer.  

I have NEVER been able to ditch endurance riders any faster!  I'm going to have to remember the trick!  I wasn't introduced & had yet to know my pals name.  She mentioned that she was to meet her other two friends at the potty in less than an hour.  Anyone who knows me, knows that I am directionally "challenged" & cannot remember my way around - but now I had the added, unwelcome responsibility of getting this lady back to her friends.

Luck was with me, the first riders we met were the friends she needed to meet!  I passed her off to them, Farah exploded up the trail & away we went!  One way or the other - I would get in my ride!  Again, more luck - the next riders were Dory, Dean & Linda!   I was welcomed & we had a FUN, fast good ride, completing the 20-miles in just 2-hours.

Once back at the trailers, I headed home, gave Farah a bath, I cleaned up & Butch & I headed out for dinner at one of our favorite spots in Antacortes.   The bikes were on the back, so on our way home we stopped at the Bryant trail-head of the Centennial Trail & rode north up to the Nakashima Barn, then back at dusk.  So very beautiful out there!  My weekend ended with 10-bike miles on Sat., 20-horse miles on Sunday & another 8-bike miles on Sunday!

Today?  Goofing off!  Enjoying the warm sunshine!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Are you two training for Tevis or something:) ? Sounds like a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~