Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Monday, May 23, 2011

Gruesome~

My hands...
I've hesitated posting this, but my fury knows no bounds.  Rascal found a tiny place in our fence where we hadn't been able to put electric wire & pushed under the fence on Fri. morning.  I got there just a second or two after he'd escaped.  As I found the "spot" Mischief did too & was down & out in a instant!  I ran to the house, got the leads, walked up the road to our property corner.  Before I walked along our west fence, I looked over to the area where the "adjoining landowners" Pit Bulls are confined.  They were both behind their fence. As I got to our NW corner I called & Rascal came right away, followed by Mischief.  I attached the leads & started back toward the road.

I heard a sound, turned just in time to see both the Pit Bull's loose & coming at me!  I was down in a ditch along our fence when the larger one attacked - going for Mischief.  He picked her up in his mouth & started shaking her back & fourth.  She started to scream!  I went nuts & just dove in, he didn't have on a collar so there was no way to pull him away from her.  His body had my legs pinned against the fence.  I finally got my hands on her & raised her over my head as he turned toward me.  In that instant I knew I would be next, so  I threw Mischief over our fence.  His owner had come out & tried to gain control of him, both of them falling on me. 

I got up, got away & saw Rascal running for his life from the other dog.  The first time by he still had his collar & lead on, but the second time it was gone & the other dog had taken up the attack too.  I yelled for him & he ran towards me, I caught him up in my arms, as the owner stood between me & her dogs trying to get them to go to the house.

Once home, I put Rascal in his kennel & looked for Mischief.  She was on the porch, covered in blood & didn't know who I was.  I put a towel around her & we drove to the Vet.  (That's where the photos of my hands were taken.)  She was SO lucky to be young enough that she had enough loose skin & only has one puncture wound.  Mischief is having difficulty with her hind legs, but I'm told she will recover.
I also filed another report with Animal Control.  These are the same dogs that attacked my niece's dogs last April.  They were eventually declared "dangerous" by Snohomish County & supposed to be confined at all times.  Evidently  the strength of the confinement enclosure was not checked.  When I asked the "Senior Enforcement Officer" today if the dogs had been vaccinated, she replied;  "They think so."  I asked her when she would KNOW & she said; "Tomorrow - if they are home..."
Friday evening & called 911 again & asked if a deputy could go & find Rascal's collar & lead.  When he came to my gate he had "attitude" to burn & told me that he had been at the "neighbor's" where they had told him that I had been trespassing!  He was so rude & belligerent that I'm going to the North Precinct tomorrow to file a complaint against him! 
Now, I'm nursing my hands & waiting to see what happens next.  I shudder to think what would have happened if someone hadn't come out of that house!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness- that had to hurt, both you and the dog! I'm so sorry. Some people should not have dogs. period.
    I was "chased" by a 150lb Rottweiler about 10 years ago, I didn't actually try to run from him but as I stepped backwards off the pavement I fell about 12 feet down an embankment into thick patch of blackberries.
    I firmly believe that weed patch saved my life as the rotten dog paced back and forth above me but retreated whenever he came into the stickers.
    I had to tear my way through the other side of the thicket and cut across fields to get away from that dog. Animal control of course did nothing because I didn't get bit.
    Sending healing thoughts your way for you and the puppies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing to me -- that they've done nothing so far except to ask the owners to confine the dogs to their house. You're so lucky to have "escaped" but I bet the blackberries scrapes were horrible & they get infected so easily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad owners like this are what give pits such a bad name. I am so sorry you had to go through this. I hope for justice for you and a full recovery for Mischief :(

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~