Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Smoothing out the "Ride" ~

Views of the Sound & Olympic Mountains
We enjoyed a mid-week sunshine day yesterday!   Joyce called to ask if I wanted to ride from her house & that's always "yes" for an answer!  Joyce is the very finest at finding trail & making any ride feel fresh.  We did some climbing & checked out some old logging roads that ended at a turn-about.  Even though it starting getting hazy in the afternoon - it felt very warm & humid.  The bugs were out!

I've been having issues for a couple months now, with Khari spooking & shying.  I think I've tied this to leaving my deep seat saddle & using the old Big Horn with a flatter seat.  I feel & indeed AM less secure in it, the seat has no "ride-ability" (see earlier post)I have to consider that she's picking up on this & taking advantage -- which we all know that any Arabian worth his/her salt will do!

Also, we went from fit & ready for a 50, to me on the injured list for four weeks, missing that first ride.  Khari went from working - to vacation time -- so of course that excess energy has to be put to some use!  :-)

I've been discussing these problems with Dean Essex, DVM who told me to stop using the stick & go back to circling.  So, at the first in place powerful spook - on paving, the kind that sends your spine up into your brain case...  we circled!  We circled some more!   We stopped, I put the mare into "neutral", took a Deep breath & gave her the cue to walk-on.  Seemed to work!  Instead of elevating the energy level, which the stick can do...  it was significantly lowered!

Next, we trotted out onto a clearing with lots of left-over logging debris.  Khari has seen this type of thing Many times, but she started shying to the right, shying to the left -- as I'm fond of saying -- looking for a reason to spook.  NOT!  We stopped!  We started circling, circling, circling.  Stop - Deep breath & walk-on!  Worked again!

When Joyce, riding Jesse - started a 14 mph gallop, we followed & I felt like I had Khari's brain firmly between her ears!  It ended up being a really Great ride!  I felt empowered again -- having a tool that I'd forgotten to use that Worked!  Let's hope I can build on this, built on my fitness & get to a ride yet this season!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats! It's a wonderful feeling to get them reacting to YOU again, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that idea of circling, might try it myself next time my girl starts the silly spooking thing again. So far she really hasn't done anything too naughty, but before she was this fit she never spooked at all! I think they just have a little too much extra energy sometimes. I hope you are feeling better, any hope of making it to Mt Adams? I think that was my favorite ride of all last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Khari doesn't have that excuse, since she's been fit for a few years now...
    Mt. Adams is a favorite of mine too. Love the meadow for Ride-camp & high trails - neither of which will happen this year. So for the drive Klickitat is looking better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dean says to remember, that when circling -- the goal is to DRIVE the rear-end around. Once you stop - going to "neutral" is very important, reins resting, hand soft. It's the "sweet" spot for the horse, reward. Then - you ask for forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice tune up! Good work. And gorgeous view.

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~