Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Khari on Vacation~

Khari & Ziggy
What a place to enjoy being a horse!  The farm is so green & beautiful this time of year!  Here we thought Khari would be happy to have some companionship...  But NO!  She's pinning her ears at Ziggy & trying to boss him around at every opportunity!  Ziggy on the other hand, just ignores her nasty looks & pinned ears!  His years of experience ponying race horses has given him the ability to handle the worst any mare can hand out! 
Khari
Khari looked up as we drove in, then waited for us to approach her.  I think that she missed us!   I know that we've been missing her!  The dogs were disappointed that she wasn't here for her dinner, since they all "share"!  :-)  We have had the habit for years now of sitting out in the evening, with the dogs & horses.  It's our commiseration time as a "family".   We felt her absence.


Once this next round of rain is over, I'll be back in a saddle -- notice I didn't say;  "the saddle", since I'm not sure how my saddle situation will resolve!   I may be riding Klickitat in Dean's 40-year old stock saddle! 

When Dean was working with me - I learned that to handle a horse, you must be secure. When I started riding Khari, the first few times I was told to correct her, I was terrified.  Finally, I realized that I could - without coming off, when I was riding in his saddles!  Even though we've been a team for quite a while - I still loved knowing that I had that edge.   Of course this lesson has recently been driven home!  Hoping my saddle sells soon - so I can go shopping yet again...

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect place for horses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...do you have to sell that old saddle before you can get a new one? Argh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mares! I'm sure she's really enjoying making nasty faces and bossing Ziggy around. :) The saddle quest sucks and I hope the old one sells fast!

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~