Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Farah's First Ride with Friends!

Joyce on Anne, Charlotte on Aliento
 I receive a call from Joyce on Sat. afternoon.  She & Charlotte are planning an evening ride - will I come?  It was one of the first really warm days we'd had & we had a lot of "stuff" at home that needed doing - but, riding is riding :-)  Decided to take Farah.  Saddled her, loaded her up & if Khari hadn't screamed like her heart was breaking - it would have been a quieter leave taking!  As it was - Farah hit the side of the trailer a couple times, but soon settled down.  We let her travel untied & she really seems to like it.  

We were the first ones there, so I went ahead & adjusted my bridle for her.  When Joyce pulled in next to us - Farah watched quietly.  Once Charlotte was there & both horses unloaded, you could just see Farah's face change with curiosity!   She said;  "Hi" to Aliento - amazingly - Anne was in a "good" mood & just ignored her!  

Once on the trails, I couldn't have asked for a better greenie!  Nothing like having an "easy" ride for a beginner - Not!  First they discussed whether we'd take the "Big Hill" route, or the "Downhill" route!  (I told Farah to ignore them!)  Our first obstacle was the Beaver pond, not too deep.  Anne went first - Farah refused, then decided to try walking on the top of the dam!  No - that wouldn't do.  I backed her off - Joyce turned Anne around to face us & Farah just walked right in!  No big deal after that!  

Farah kept up really well, we placed her first, middle & last.  Middle she wants to follow too close & of course doesn't want anyone right on top of her!  :-)  Last seems fine with her, she even took lead several times!  About 7 miles into the ride, her mind needed a little "break".  We stopped, I gave her some pets - she let out a big sigh - & away we went!  The bridge at Bracken Rd., that has been under repair for several months - was open!  How great to have it completed in time for the long weekend!  Farah led the way across!  

We arrived back at the trailers by a different route than we'd left.  Farah was in the lead, came into the clearing & stopped to look.  I decided to dismount - swung my left leg over & felt something under my foot!  Looked down & it was the mounting block log!  Whether by training,  intentional, or unintentional - I liked it!  She Loaded back up with no fuss at all - traveled home much quieter than on the way out!  Once we were home, she gave a big shake, had a big roll & was ready for dinner!
  
Did I mention that I had a Great time riding her?  Stride is longer than I'm used to - very big, long & very smooth! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~