Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Friday, January 11, 2013

Cold, Clear, Blue & Treacherous~

7-mi. loop
First, another Thank You is due to Dean Essex, DVM - for teaching me about saddles!  It was so cold & so crisp & Farah was So full of herself!  We got past the Utility crew cutting on our trees, snort, snort.  Then across Pat's & up the road...
Farah is very animated!
Next we go through the neighbors yard & up onto the trail.
Snow frozen on the ground & bushes~
 Good I say to myself, now she will settle down!  Not!  AT the end of this short trail it opens up & there were several spots of frozen water.  As we went past one, Farah's fast feet set a rock flying that landed & slid across the ice at her rear end.  In the next second she bucked & I was above my saddle looking down.  I came down - right back into the seat with my feet back in the stirrups!  YES!  I love my saddle!  My horse got the stick!  No more shenanigans! 
Rock hard frozen ground~
 At the end of this trail is a sharp downhill where the base of the Beaver Dam blocks the end of the big wetland.  The water was pouring over the trail.
No, not a river, just a full creek flowing over the trail~
I love this part, the part where Ms. Farah just goes trudging right through the water!  What an improvement over our first months together almost two-years ago now.  We actually did a little gallop on the way up to the power lines.
North - It looked & was COLD!
We turned South~
Going past one of the Beaver Ponds,, the water had a layer of ice.  Farah had been breaking through the ice on the trails.  She figured out how to break through with a foot - then drink as it gurgled under the remaining ice.
Beaver Pond
This time we rode over to see if the gate was still in place on 130th, & it was~
Closed gate on our map~
Another adrenalin rush... as we rounded the corner & went into the shade, Farah slipped!  The road was covered with a layer of black ice.  I moved her over onto the shoulder.
Looking back the way we'd come~
As you can see in the photo above & a close-up on the one below, this area hosts probably the most "protected" area signs anywhere in the state.  
Really?
Before the logging, before the paving, before the fencing - yes - it was the most spectacular area - a forgotten gem of a place with fresh flowing creeks, full of salmon, wetlands with fish, birds & beaver - but now?  Houses in rows, yards, pollutants, yard debris?  Really?  There's the matter of the funding to actually protect the area?  Where does that come from?  If they'd just stayed out - it took pretty good care of itself.  Somewhere under this land is supposed to be the largest fresh water aquifer left on this side of the state.  The large wetland is the recharge area for the aquifer, I've been told.
Mt. Pilchuck
We come back over to our side of the ridge & are welcomed by one of the best views in this part of the county~  My fingers were getting numb from taking the pictures, but it was our ride & I'm sticking to it!  :-)

 

2 comments:

  1. you're brave! no way I'm riding on ice, and it's probably going to get icy here in the next few days, since the temperature might venture above freezing for the first time in weeks.
    - The Equestrian Vagabond

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not been out there this week - each day the ground has gotten harder. We're supposed to get a short break & some rain today - I'm hoping...

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~