Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Tribute to Jasrada~


 I've found the video of Jasrada.  (Dean had the camera & she knew better than to run over Him! :-)  (She must have been about 18 when this was taken.)  We found her one rainy day in 1992 - at a herd dispersal sale in Puyallup.  We were looking for an interim ride for Butch while his young colt Khaz was growing up.  Instead, what we found was a mare that changed our lives forever.

We started with Competitive Trail, where Jas & Butch collected many first place blue ribbons in 25-mile rides & two-day 50's.  By 1995 I was looking for an endurance horse & decided to try Jas.  She was so game & so savvy, too smart for her own good & Very competitive!  Her recoveries were awesome & we placed fourth in her first 50 at Bully Wully.  Our second ride, Animal House - we came into the Vet Check to find her back legs splattered with blood - she was bleeding from both front coronary bands, something no one had ever seen.

I could never give her up & she would never give up - so we kept trying different supplements,  different farriers, vets & were open to any & all advice.  By the end of her career, we had over 300-miles in pulls, most at 40-miles, when her feet would give out & she would be grade 1 lame.

Those times when we managed to have it all together, when she had enough hoof to shoe & when she'd been sound enough, long enough, for us to condition -  we could win!   Every ride, she would spook once - I would never know when or at what & had several unplanned dismounts over the years!  We were riding before the Decade Team Award began, then missed getting it - by the one year (2003) I was injured.  With those 300-miles in pulls - Jas also missed receiving a thousand-mile medallion...

Once she finally retired, though - she didn't miss anything!  :-)  Perfect for our newly arriving Grand-kids, she loved Ben as though he were her own & would whinny for him the minute she heard his voice!
10-15-04 Ben walks Jas to the barn after his ride~
 Many was the time I heard Ben say when it came to Jas;  "I can do it myself Grammy!"  He did too!  He had no fear of her at all & would take on any trail as long has he was on her back.

Jas came down with Anterior Entheritis in April of 2003. Dean Essex, DVM took on her treatment rather than putting her down.  She was on fluids for over a week, but he never gave up & neither did she.  With an amazing show of strength & mental toughness - she pulled through.  I was determined that she would end her Endurance career with a 50-mile ride & we accomplished that at Klickitat in 2005.
Jas & Ben May 24, 2005
When we lost her, Ben was as heartbroken as we all were.  He lost his interest in riding & that was the end of that.   Why I started digging for the video I don't know, but I'm glad to have found it & happy to share it with you~

2 comments:

  1. i remember her. she's a dream of a horse. please tell me how you kept her tail so white. i was one of those who kept Quik Silver in business, but i never got my horse's tail that white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lytha! Jas was so proud of her tail! :-) I used what my Grandmother suggested; Mrs. Steward's Bluing. I can usually find it in the grocery store - but even Dover's sells it now. First I'd shampoo with a bar of Ivory soap - rinse well, then add the bluing & conditioner to the final rinse water. (After her death I had tail hair made into a braided bracelet (no hardware) for me & a cowboy scarf slide for Butch.)

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~