Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Ice Chunks~

Frozen & rock hard~
The water wasn't flowing over the trail anymore, but things had frozen up even more so than they were two-days ago.  It was worse than I'd expected - a slippy slide.
Farah loves this bunch grass~
 We had no choice but to go much easier.  I decided to use the Mylar Combo bit again & what a difference!  I had her attention, the battle stopped & I was back in full control.  You know, we've all heard it - "the bit for the job".   
Out on the power lines~
 It was a beautiful afternoon!  The sun actually felt warm on my back!  The ice on the ponds was gaining in thickness!
Back in the Woods~
 It looked like Winter in some places!  Here again is where we usually go fast, but not this day!
Ice Chunks!
 Ice chunks had fallen from the trees.  In the short time each day that it "warms-up" - the frozen snow/sleet falls off the branches, then stays frozen on the ground!  Little crystals reflecting the light~
Along our trail~
 It looked beautiful, sounded crunchy - but was no fun riding on, with Farah slipping almost every step.  
Mt. Pilchuck
 By the time we were back out, I was glad to call it a day's ride.  Doubt I'll go out again until it actually does warm-up.  With all the hours of cold that the ground has to continue to freeze, I can't see it getting any better - for at least a few days.  Farah was extremely disappointed that I didn't let her do our usual gallops!

2 comments:

  1. Yo crazy! I like to look at the ice from inside. The Snake River actually has ice covering parts of it. i thought it would be too wide and swiftly-flowing for that.
    - The Equestrian Vagabond

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised, as I would have thought so too! Know I'm so tired of the deep freeze...

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~