Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Butterfly's, Blooms & Bugs!

Morning Cloak
Anytime I have to schedule an appointment of some type in advance, it's 100% assured that day will be a beauty - not the kind of day for sitting in an office waiting your turn...  As I drove out the gate yesterday morning - I found the visitor above sunning herself on one of the fence rails.  I did my errands, then hurried home, ate a late lunch & saddled up.
Part of our route on the Centennial Trail & our ride today
The first thing that struck me, up in "our" woods, was the Salmonberry blooms!  As we approached a semi-shade/sun area - the Morning Cloak butterflies were playing in the air over our heads!  They too - must be enjoying the bright pink blooms!
Salmonberry in full bloom!
Then - there were the bugs!  I didn't get a picture of what I've always called the "buzzing bug" - there's usually at least one that buzzes by me in my woods & when I'm out on the trails too.  I have no idea what they are, they've never landed on me & they're fast!  We headed north, then over to the far side & soon smelled...
Skunk Cabbage!
 Just after I took this photo the sneeze hit!  This late afternoon, we heard dirt bikes coming fast!  We moved fast to find a place to get off to the side - but thankfully they took a different trail.  As we were taking our grazing break by the gas lines, two bikes were coming down from the north, but again took a different trail when they saw us.
Heading home for Dinner!
We covered just over ten-miles, the roads had hardened up a lot with the last few days of dry weather & with all the rock, we took it easy except for a good gallop!  :-)  Our slippery-slide downhill obstacle - had dried out a little, no puddle at the bottom & Farah received a A+ for negotiating it perfectly!  As we came home, I realized that we're doing our rides now - on a loose rein.  Contact yes, but more & more Farah is working off my seat & I'm using the reins less & less!  Of course - all bets are off if there happens to be a nice area of something GREEN that's in a much better direction than the one we're traveling in :-)

Wishing all my fiends well, who are busy packing & will be heading over to the first ride of our season - Home On The Range.  I'll miss seeing everyone, love the ranch, but also love our Granddaughter Skyla - who's second birthday party we'll be attending that day!  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~