Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Trotting on~

Newly improved Whitehorse Trail-Head
Since Ben had stayed over another night - today it was time to take him home :-(   (I decided to take Farah along & do a ride on the Whitehorse trail again.)   Jentry had a friend visiting, so Farah gave pony rides to the children.  She's till a little young to really like giving pony rides, & keeping her nose out of the nice green, growing grass was a challenge...  but she managed to create some Huge smiles!
Looking east toward Darrington
 It was a strange day weather wise.  Overcast, gray, barometric pressure was very low I'm sure.  I was a little tired, sad to see the end of Ben's stay...  & thought I'd just amble along enjoying Farah's big walk.  Not to be!  We were just a few strides down the trail when Farah moved right up into her trot.  I continue to be amazed at the easy way this mare can pick them up & put them down in such an effortless, smooth fashion.  It's been many, many years since I've ridden a horse who loves to trot, go & see as much as Farah.  It's a gift that I really didn't appreciate as much as I should have with Jas - I hadn't ridden all the "so-so" horses in between.  Horses who liked to spook, horses who didn't have any "go", horses with issues.

As anyone knows who's owned horses, you can't just pick one out of the herd & know that you & said horse will be a match.  Even training & trainers are no sure-fire way to insure success.  I know - we've spent more money that I want to think about on that...   No, it sometimes takes years & miles to really get a feel for each other.  Then if the feel isn't right - it's such a bummer.  Most of us spend a lot of time still trying to find a fix - usually without success & again with large expenditures of money on saddles, pads, anything that is advertized to help!
Forston end of the six-miles of open trail!
It's never quick & it's never easy - but over the time Butch & I have had our horses at home, we came to the conclusion that it can take up to a couple years - for a horse to decide if they like you, like their living arrangement & like the job you've put them to.  A few weeks ago - it was as if something clicked between Farah & me.   Not that she isn't usually mannerly & it was obvious that she likes living with us, but finally one morning when I walked up - she was there, she was in my face & she let me know that I'd become hers :-)   The lines of communication were fully open, the trust was there & we both knew it.

When we traveled the trail last week, it cemented the bond.  That took a Lot of trust on both our parts, to handle the traffic, noise & unexpected stuff that came along on our way.  Today - when she moved into her trot, on her own, without being asked & continued it over 12-miles of trail - I knew that we'd arrived!  It seemed a simple thing & may be to some, but to me - it means the World!

3 comments:

  1. I hear you on how difficult it can be to find the "right" horse. My needs in a horse are different to yours, but I recognize that emotion--exactly. And I, too, have spent time on horses that weren't right, just trying to make it work. What a great thing you and Farah have achieved. I am grateful every day for my Sunny horse, who gives me exactly what I want/need in a horse today. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I'm so happy for you two. Huge Hoge Smiles here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone visited this post today. I was reminded how far we've come in so few years!

      Delete

Always Welcome~