Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Farah's Lesson Today~


It seems this spring as though Farah has been cycling every other day!  Either she's witchy, or she's a sweetie.  Today was a "sweet" day & I think it worked to our advantage.  No bucking this time, a more lackadaisical attitude- which contributed to a smoother stride & nicer ride for Sandra. 

Farah is collecting up more & more on the trail, she's naturally athletic & yesterday... when under saddle, she stopped, I felt something brush the bottom of my inside stirrup - then looked down to see the toe of her hind foot, up & scratching the side of her cheek~!  Wow!  Now that's "talent"!  :-)  A definite first for me!  The last thing I wanted was for her to somehow catch that foot in her headstall, so Very Carefully asked her to put the leg back down!  :-)

Today Sandra was working to see where Farah seems the most comfortable with her head set.  We might try my Mylar combination with the nose piece next time to give a little more tilt to the nose - since I do get this when I'm riding her on the trail.  More for me to learn, more for us both to work on.  Sandra's help has been invaluable - it's the journey~

4 comments:

  1. hi connie! i am dreaming of horse ownership and even looking at possible names and i put farah on my list yesterday, forgetting you claimed that name already (lol). i'm sure you know, but farah is arabic for joy. what a great name. i had an angora show rabbit when i was little, named faro, and we got him a girlfriend and named her fara. i've always loved that name. i named my GSD terah and her baby was serah. now i'm running out of ideas...but if i get this mare, i will certainly blog the name game so you can help me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hay you! Need to read up on how your horse hunt is progressing! I didn't even name her - the breeder did! :-) But the name fits her to a "T" if you remember "Charlies Angles"? Love the "name game"!

      Delete
  2. Connie, I still have some "left over" Regumate--it's yours if you want it. My mare is NEVER gonna need the stuff again! Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was talking to Sandra about it yesterday, but am going to wait & start recording her cycles to see if things get better once Spring is over. She was still at Dean's until June last year - so didn't really get a feel for how she did. Appreciate the offer!

      Delete

Always Welcome~