Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Friday, December 19, 2014

Almost There~


Golden pools of water~
  Instead of doing the long ride I'd planned for yesterday - I had an opportunity to go play with Mason, Cassidy & their Mom - so guess what I did?  (I really don't think I wouldn't have made it through that ride dry!)  After last nights pouring rain that continued on this morning, I didn't think that I'd get out.  But then - the clouds parted & the sun emerged - bright - shinny & warm!  Farah had her head over the stall door when I walked up.

When we came off the trail where things open up at the power lines, we pulled up - I looked up & was thrilled at what I saw.
Our Red Tailed Hawk
 There he was!  I'm sure it was the same Hawk that I was too slow to get a photo of last time I was up here.  This time he just sat & watched us.  Farah started grazing & I got the shot!  Always such a feeling when a bird this size allows you those few extra moments to admire their beauty.  It didn't last long - in the next second - our friend took flight!
Away he goes~
 I never expected to win the Derby this year, but holding in second place, all year long - behind Diane - I hadn't counted on either.  She's lucky in that many of her miles are endurance miles with many 100's thrown in - that adds up quickly.  Ours are trail-miles, only 85 in competition.  
North to the far side~
 Not one to give up so close to our goal - instead that one long ride, it's now going to take a couple shorter trips, so I stretched our route out to the far north end of our home trails, where we hadn't been since hunting season.
Wetland~
 The wetland on this side is one of the prettiest in the Winter months - with all the hardhack that grows around & in it.  I didn't take our break until after we'd passed the usual spot & went to the end of this trail, before we turned back & finally as we arrived for the second time, Farah let me know that gosh!  Time to stop!  :-0
Our big climb - far out there!
You can just see the big hill at the very far end of this photo that we climb on our way home & slide down on our way out.  The Magnesium supplement that I started Farah on, seems to really be helping her return attitude.
Pilchuck under clouds~
I never get bored riding here - every trip something has changed, every time I revel in the freedom of having this kind of space all to myself.  At least on most days.  The days like today - when we get a special surprise make the ride memorable.  It was a beautiful afternoon!  We returned home with only a hand-full of miles left to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~