Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

In Praise of the "Sensible" Horse ~

Nice Collection going down the trail~
Today - I took Farah out for her first ride!  I hadn't even been On her!   I didn't take time to adjust a different headstall - Khari's worked with just a little lengthening.  I used a deep seat western saddle & wool pad.  I lounged her both directions without any negative reaction, before mounting up.  She was a bit nervous as we started down the road, neighboring horses running over to the fence, dogs barking etc.  But soon, she was amazing me with her "think about it" attitude!  When she saw something that might be "frightening" - she would stop, look & most times move on without my urging! 

I wanted this ride to be Fun for her, so we took our time & I let her stop to eat at several places where the grass was just too lush to pass by!  Soon, we were trotting & I was amazed at her consistency!   Her ability to collect herself up was wonderful!  We spotted deer at one point & her only reaction was to look~

I know it was the longest trail ride of her life, about six-miles.  I don't think she's been ridden outside of an arena more than a few times.  She was barefoot, so a bit footsore - even though I dismounted to walk the rocky areas.  I should have shod her when Art was out to do Khari - but we'll get it done shortly!  May also try the Renegades, but her feet are a bit narrow in shape for them.
Farah's first look at the view on our way home~
By the time we returned to Pat's yard, I'd just experienced one of the most relaxed rides I've had in years!  On a five-year old!  Butch had just arrived at our gate & when he saw the smile on my face he knew I was hooked!

2 comments:

Always Welcome~