Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Renegade Rendezvous

50-mile route
I had to include this Google earth image of the Renegade ride that my GPS recorded.  I'm sure the statistics on the elevation gain/loss over the course would be impressive.  This year was the first time I've ridden a 50 with three Vet Checks, but you'll hear no complaints from me!  It was really nice to have that one extra stop early in the ride - just a good way to check that tack was working as it should & that your horse was doing OK - after the stress of the first few miles.  Khari loved getting a few extra bites of food too & finished the second loop with her highest scores of the day.   It's also really interesting when compared to last year’s image below.
50-mile Ride -2010
Last year’s ride was one large loop, going up to over 6,000 ft. in elevation, with two vet checks, both out of camp.  We left in the morning & didn't see ride camp again until we finished!  Did I mention that it was hot too?   It takes more planning for the out-checks of course.  I'd traveled to the ride with Charlotte, so didn't have the luxury of Butch being there to crew for us. 

This was my fifth time at this ride.  The first was a 25-mile in 2000 on Jasrada, next, the 50-mile on Glenda in 2001.  (Can that be ten-years ago?!)  Then, last year with two "Unicorn" team mates - finishing third place on Khari.  Renegade has a reputation for being tough – but the feeling of when it's over – feels Great. My hat is off to the hardy souls who tackle & complete the 75 here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~