Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Monday, June 27, 2011

Not Quite Yet - At Renegade ~

Butch trots Khari out for completion~
I'd thought that limited distance miles counted as lifetime mileage - but they do not.  AERC rules state that a ride has to be 50-miles or more.  We haven't reached our goal yet...  Khari's first Limited Distance ride was at Renegade in 2006.  We placed 14th.  Now, five-years later she finished the 50-mile ride in 12th place & with that completion has 950 miles in Endurance - plus an additional 55-miles in Limited Distance

One of my goals since starting the sport - was to have my horse reach 1,000-miles.  Jas & I competed for ten-years & missed it by 50 miles & a grade 1 lameness.  We also had over 300-miles in pulls, (most at 40 or 50 miles - the heartbreaking kind.)   

Khari has been totally different.  Big, strong & forward - she has learned her job well & enjoys getting out, seeing her friends & even the competition.  She does so much better when Butch is with us & takes care of her, giving me time to take care of me.  Last year - the rides really started smoothing out for us.  We found a routine that worked.  With the slow start this season - it was really tough to get my mind back in the right place.  I knew I hadn't done the conditioning miles that we both needed & I know well that Renegade is a race to respect.  I never plan a ride in advance - I just try to go with the flow.  Each ride is so different & this one was no exception.  

I was surprised when a young friend asked if I would sponsor her in the 50.  Never having sponsored before & with my own goal so close - I wanted to refuse, but she has such a sweet smile...  My biggest concern was that Nikki's horse wouldn't be able to keep up with Khari - even though I planned to take this ride easy & set a pace based on Khari's recoveries throughout the day.
Our Finish!  Nikki & Boggie, Connie & Khari
After the usual first few miles of jockeying for position, we were lucky to tuck in behind two friends & x-teammates early in the ride.  I love consistent pacing & these two do a wonderful job of that.  We had so much fun!  The day was beautiful, sunny, clear with a light breeze.  The rivers were stirrup deep & bugs weren't a problem!   All our horses pulsed down within a couple minutes of each other at each vet check, so we rode the entire ride together!  At one point we put Nikki out front & had to reel her back in!  :-)

My knees wanted to quit, my lower back wasn't happy - but there's just no better way to spend a day than in beautiful country, with great friends, on a good horse!

5 comments:

  1. What fun. Looks like a perfect day. Great for you both. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the 1000 miles. That is a BIG deal. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! So happy for both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for all y'all! This was Nikki + Boogie's first 50-mile completion too!

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~