Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Around we Go!

Our loop today
 Today I rode with my Fish Creek friends.  It was wet, it was cold & it did rain - but we really didn't care much - since the idea was to get OUT before the next big storm that is forecast for tonight & tomorrow.  Patty had her new mare, going for only her fourth or fifth trail ride!  What a good girl she was.  I took my turn being Patty's trail buddy, as the others were wanting a fast loop to condition up for the first endurance ride of the season.

Farah is pretty much there - she's been working all through the winter & it takes a while for her to even break a sweat.  We are working on "coming back" a bit - so the combination of new trail mare & second season mare worked out just fine :-)  Farah got a little impatient - but once she figured out that it was going to be a "no-hurry" kind of ride, she settled down nicely - especially since we hadn't gotten out to the trails this week.

When the others caught us a couple miles from the trailers, Dean took over riding with Patty & I got in a short trot with Dory & Linda.  Once at the trail head, I turned Farah around & she had a nice gallop back find Patty & Dean.  I was tempted to go out on my own & do another loop - but I'd had enough of the cold & the weather was only getting more miserable...

I forgot to turn off the GPS, so recorded a top speed of 55 mph!  Yippee!  Not!  Pains me when I forget & goof up my stats for the ride - but at least it's recorded so I can log it in my Distance Derby miles!  Speaking of the DD - I got in just before the cut-off date the end of January!  I lost my January miles, but even so, am starting to move up in the ranks.  We'll see how my miles hold up against riders from across the country.  Fun stuff :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~