Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Squeezing in a Dry Ride!

Bracken Road
I'd planned to ride with Lynn, we were both hoping for decent weather, since she was kind enough to offer to drive up my way for the day.  Early rain dampened my hopes, but within a short time, the clouds parted & sun appeared! 

Arriving early at the parking - there was plenty of space open with only two other rigs there.  Walking out of the PP, always my first stop...  I was just in time to see a truck with camper & trailer, narrowly missing the corner of my trailer - with Farah still inside.  The vehicle stopped & driver appeared.  I knew the driver, but doubt she remembered me.  I spoke to her by name & said;  "M, I guess you don't want me to use my tack room or tie my mare to my trailer?"   She said;  "Aren't you leaving?"  My response;  "No, just arrived."  To which she responded;  "Well then, you can just tie up to my trailer."  Somehow - that just didn't work for me.  I love my little "around-town" Bronco & small horse trailer!  I just got back in, made a small circle & parked a 100 ft. further up the parking lot.  Still amazed me that anyone could be so rude.

Lynn arrived & we were in the saddle shortly after noon.  With me "leading" - don't start laughing!!!  I know those of you who know me well, know full well that I have no sense of direction.  It had been months since I'd ridden these trails, but Lynn is a trusting soul!  :-)
By 3 in the afternoon, the clouds covered the sky~
 Farah was so full of herself that she threatened to buck again, so I took the lead & put her onto a technical trail that would occupy her mind!  Once we were moving out, she settled down.  The trails were in better shape than I would have expected considering the heavy use this area gets now - but there were only a few mud bogs to navigate. 

On the way "back" Lynn wanted to try Sophie's built-in navigation system, which took us on a wonderful loop - but not "back".  :-)  We ended our ride with just over 13-miles, mostly at a good walk with a little trot.  I was very happy with Farah this ride.  She actually collected up, moved into a western jog trot, smoothest ever when I asked her to to back off a fast trot!  Going into the mud, or over an obstacle - I released rein as we'd practiced with Mark Bolender & she negotiated them perfectly without her usual rush at the end.  We had more than one moment of brilliance & I got the feeling that she enjoyed our ride as much as I did!  I Love it when she comes home happy. 

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you visit some fun trails! I have great plans to take the pony (once totally sound...) out on some trails this summer. There are a few nice ones (so I've been told) only minutes from my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll look forward to seeing what yours look like!

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~