Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Thursday, September 20, 2012

My First LD ~

Connie On Jasrada, Butch on Khaz
It was Aug. 31, 1996 - our second year of endurance.  I'd had a pull on Jas in her second 50 - so decided to drop back in distance & see how she did.  Khaz was old enough finally - so Butch was riding too!   Did we ever have fun!  The Bully Wully was one tough sucker of a ride.  Even the Canadians would complain that it was too tough to finish in time.

Finally, last week - here came my Limited Distance patch from the AERC with my first 250-mile chevron!  It took Jas, Khaz, Khari & now Farah to earn those miles for me... & sixteen years!  :-)  The only time I usually rode LD's was to see if Jas's feet would hold together, to get Khaz out for Butch, or in Khari's case - just to see if she was ready for more.  Farah, on the other hand, I knew was ready!  With good weather to burn & the luxury of not working - I had plenty of time to put in the miles.  Friends asked me yesterday - "Aren't you going to ride Farah in Endurance?!  She could do it easy?!"  (They don't read my blog :-)  Yes, she could - but with my increasing maturity has also come - I like to think anyway - a bit of wisdom.   Good horses are few & far between, most horseman are lucky to be blessed with one in a lifetime - that special one of mine is pictured above.

I've had a couple of rides lately - when I think - then knock-on-wood - that I just might be that lucky person who will have another.  If so - the last thing I want to do is ride her hard & fast both - at least not too often :-)

The ride routes have changed over the years, with the loss of available open space.  It's easier too - to flag a ride with a ATV & stick to the logging roads, with a stretch of nice trail thrown in here & there.  I don't think many ride managers now, actually ride their routes on horseback to do the flagging, but there are notable exceptions :-)  Those are the rides I may still attend from time to time & enjoy some nice Limited Distance riding!  (Maybe a 50 thrown in here & there :-)

4 comments:

  1. personally I think that nice chestnut horse was pretty cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was a handsome horse Pat. Had a really decent endurance record too. 12 seasons in competition, 11 consecutive, over 1,200 miles, two BC's in Limited Distance with Butch, another BC at Alpine on the 75 with Tiff, who then rode him in 2-100's & 7-75's on top of numerous 50's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I just got my 250 mile patch a few weeks ago! It was a surprise, as I hadn't realized they send those out, cool:)

    I completely understand the desire to "protect" those special horses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to do a post on the horses & rides it took to earn it! Ten 25 completions is a feat! Hence the patch! CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~