Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Seven Years, To the Day~

This morning I was adding a Mt. Adams photo to Farah's Facebook album, went back to look & realized that my very first photo of her - was taken seven-years, to the day - before our win at Mt. Adams.  One of those strange coincidences that can happen in life & leave us wondering?  Was it preordained?
My first photo of Farah, May 16, 2008
My niece purchased her from Amy Lynn Durga - in January of 08, as a long-yearling.  When I tell people that she was a pale palomino at birth - they don't believe me...  (Farah's breeder, Renee - had traded Amy straight across; Farah, for a four-year-old Thoroughbred gelding - September of 07.)
Probably a yearling in this photo
We were returning from a trip to Colorado, it was supposed to be a vacation - but ended up being more of a working vacation.  We'd helped my mother do some downsizing.  On the return, my niece asked if we could go through Greeley to pick up some personal possessions she'd left behind at her brother's, prior to her move to the Portland area.
Nice Stride! 5-16-08
With the back of the truck full & towing a u-haul trailer behind, we arrived in Portland more than ready to ditch the stuff & the trailer!  Of course we had to go see the new horse!  It was late afternoon - I took my camera & was really surprised at the filly we saw!  I gave some advice on hoof care etc. & we headed home.
8-8-08 - Almost 2-1/2 years old.
Early August, we were again in the area visiting friends & stopped by to see the mare.  There was just nothing about her that I didn't like.  She hadn't had much done with her - just a lot of handling.  She was already friendly by nature.
No date, but probably 3-years old
A couple years went by, we saw a few photos of her~
Four-years old - dorsal stripe visible~
By four, there were changes!  The mane had darkened & her coat had almost silver highlights!  Circumstances had changed & the mare was put up for sale unsuccessfully.  Eventually, she was leased out to a couple different people.  May of 2011, we got a call asking if we could haul her up here & board her.  I had Khari, we'd hit a sour note in our relationship & I kept thinking about Farah...
One evening I got up the nerve & asked Butch if we could make an offer?  There was just something about her...   Being the great, supportive husband he is - he agreed & a deal was reached.  As I mention in an earlier post, after my first ride - there was no question which horse was going to be sold & which would stay!
May 16, 2015 By; Jessica Wynne
So indeed!  Seven-years have passed since that eventful day that didn't even seem eventful at the time!  Farah - coming at a point in my life where I have the time to devote to her, is something I'm very thankful for.  She's already carried me many miles, given me some of my most memorable moments & become a full fledged member of our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~