Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Out From Home~

I use the above title for a tag, but I guess I've never used it for a post.  If I'd had more common sense - I would have broken my routine & left earlier this morning.  The high clouds kept the morning nice & cool.  Instead - it was after lunch & warming up.
Time to hay~
Going through Pat's, I got a peek at the the new little guy - it was his lunch time too - so just a glimpse.  I'll have to to go back for a formal introduction & to get some photos of my own :-)  It's been a long time since there's been a new foal at Pat's.
Connector Trail~
Once we were through the final yard & onto our little trail that connects to the main trails above, it was obvious that Summer is here & the usual early July weed-whacking needs to be done.  I cut the worst of the long blackberry runners that were in our faces.
Beginning of the end~
Getting out the end was difficult - the bulldozer had broken down the small Alder & left the raw ends sticking up over 2 ft. tall.  Others were laying across the trail.  Farah did a great job of picking her way through without getting stabbed.
All the Alder that had almost closed the "trail" are bulldozed now~
At least they'll be no more of us having to saw & prune the Alder through here...
To the pretty trails~
It was a relief to cross the creek & get past the outflow of the wetland & up onto the wooded trails.  So much cooler up here too.
North on the Power Lines~
All the mowing that had been done earlier this spring, really did a number on the Salmonberries.  They were cut so low that it gave the grasses a chance to grow.
Fireweed~
The patch of Fireweed that I enjoy so much - survived, it's up on a little hill - away from the lines & near what's left of a good sized patch of woods.
Trail down to the creek~
I didn't have time to go out  farther - though we both wanted to.  Farah was being so very good, moving very nice too - after the ordeal of getting her toes shortened.  (More on that later.)
Mossy Woods~
We looped through the mossy woods, I love the moss hanging from the branches.  A remnant of how this whole area used to look.
Wetland~
The big wetland looked great, water still flowing across the road.  The daisies were blooming everywhere & looked so pretty with the white Foxglove.
At the top of the hill home~
Farah could hear the neighbor's tractor.  I usually walk her down the steep hill & decided to today.  From cut grass to bales of grass hay!  This is one of the nicest fields in our area.
Bale's~
 As we were walking by, one of the bales fell over & Farah jumped 10-feet into the air & almost took me out.  Another reason that I usually wear my helmet even when I'm on foot on paving.  There was the time...  A story for another day.

Depending on what happens between my access trail & the top - will be the deciding factor as to whether I'll be able to continue to ride on the trails I've used for twenty-five years now.  Most are gone - but just to be able to reach the power lines & go a little from there has been so good - for so long...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~