Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Thursday, March 8, 2012

"Hill of Death"~

HOD, zig-zag on the right~
Our local test of fitness for our horses heading to the first endurance ride of the new season - Home On The Range - is how well they can trot up a four-mile climb that we named appropriately, the "Hill of Death".  It's a tough, tough climb - heart rates go up & stay up - all the way to the top.  Once you're up there though - the view is always well worth the trip.
Khari admires the view in a borrowed headstall :-)
I feel so lucky to have managed some really nice rides this last week, in spite of jack-knifing my truck/trailer in my own gate...  (Thanks to a neighbor, we managed to get me unstuck.)   Since I'd planned extra time, still on schedule, I drove over to the farm - pulled Farah from her stall &  grabbed what I thought - was her headstall.  Arriving at Kathryn Taylor, it became obvious when I started to try to put the bridle on Farah -  that it wasn't hers!  As a matter of fact... it was Thoroughbred size!  That made for some interesting re-working with some thick string :-)  

Early Thursday morning - Khari & I head up north to ride with Fish Creek Team members & a Pirate...  Opening the tack room door on my trailer - I realized that I'd forgotten Khari's headstall!    OK, do I ride her in a halter?  Not easy with a group of competitive horses!  To my rescue is Aarene of Haiku Farm fame!  She produces a a nice halter/bridle combo with bit - that sported Calvary brass!
Tagged!
Finally - today - I meet Charlotte up at the Glass School for a couple loops, one slower paced with a friend conditioning a youngster, then a second faster paced loop.  We return to the trailers to find that we'd been tagged!  Of course we have NO Idea WHO the offender could be - but...  we both think that the fact we did see Aarene getting ready to leave might be somewhat suspicious?

7 comments:

  1. LOVE the tape! Glad you got some fun rides in the sun (or at least the not-rain, that's almost as good as real sun, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true! Then just admire your bright blue sunshine shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Connie - Sounds like you are riding up a storm! Good for you. We will see you at Home on the Range - but I am only going to do the 15 mile trail ride with my 4 year old. I can hardly wait to see you and Khari and visit - it will be just like old times.

    As for jack-knifing your truck and trailer, a few years back I took the corner of the roof off my friend's house because apparently my trailer is taller than hers! Mark to the rescue - he had to fix their roof.

    SEE YOU SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH Liz! :-) Appreciate that I'm not the only one who makes those "mistakes" :-)
    Can't wait to see you too! It's been way too long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, are we playing "hilariously dumb automobile mistakes"? Here's mine: about five years ago I shot out one of the back windows of my little truck with an arrow. It hit the frame or it would've shot out the windshield too. Pro tip: Just because you can sling a 70 lb bale of hay around does NOT mean you can draw a 60 lb bow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laughing... HARD!!! Have the mental picture & it's Way FUNNY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh heh heh. Tag, you're it.

    And I've seen the photo of the truck that Funder shot. I can't remember doing anything that dumb. I'm sure I HAVE, but have conveniently forgotten...

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~