Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Monday, April 11, 2016

Typical April Day~

Harvey Creek~
 The on-shore flow was in full effect today.  Waking to overcast & cool temperatures, I was tempted to ride the Centennial Trail, but instead went back to Bracken, with the thought of checking out the trails we'd cleared.  Only a few trailers in the parking lot, one that I now recognize.  I wasn't the only one who had the idea - I soon ran into Leigh & Marlene :-)
A cleared trail~
 It was great to come up on this trail - that had been totally overgrown, almost tree branch to tree branch when we started & now - those branches cut back to the trunks.  It's just such an amazing time of year - one of my favorites. 
Into the larger trees~
 I followed the weed-whacking that Linda & Leigh had done - eventually ending up on the power lines.  We headed north & checked out the hitching rails!  Farah took a second look :-)  "Gee - they were over there - on the ground!  I spooked at them!"
Hitching Rails
 The danger tape was still up - since the Rails can't be used until the concrete is well set.  Nice to see that all was OK.  Even on a day of moseying - our average speeds are still going up - a good thing.  Doing rides in the teens in 2+ hours has been my goal for this month.
Sprouting ground!
 Everywhere you look, plants are sprouting up!  I thought these looked so interesting.  It almost seemed strange to be riding on a gray, overcast day - after we've enjoyed so much sunshine.  The temperature was perfect as far as I'm concerned - maybe low 60's.
Farah ~
 Farah was super today - forward.  When we got to the stock water tank, she stopped in the woods about 100ft. away.  I urged her forward - she walked up & Took a drink!  I about fell from the saddle in shock!  :-)
Enjoying the lush, fresh grass~
 I wasn't so lucky on our way back, this time - she started to walk up to it, then whirled before I could check her.  She got the stick for it, I dismounted - turned on the water & again she drank! 
The cows have some cute calves :-)
 We stopped & watched the calves running around - so cute :-)  On our way back - again I took some different trails & wound my way around - finding areas that I am now adding to the map in my head.  I've mentioned before that I'm direction-ally challenged - but still can memorize a lot of trail!
Blooming Mahonia
Any time I'm asked about native plants for landscaping - this is one of the first I mention.  It's a beautiful ground cover, bright green shiny leaves, turning reds in the fall & with the beautiful yellow blooms in spring. 

2 comments:

  1. I think this plant is the bush I have but mine is almost 6 feet tall so perhaps just a relative. The best thing about it - it's one of the few things around here that stay green all year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are two varieties of this plant, the other is taller as you describe!

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~