Quote

Ain't nuthin like ridin' a fine horse in a new country - Augustus McCrae – Lonesome Dove

Thursday, June 27, 2013

First Renegade Rendezvous!

Warming up - 7-8-2000
"Time fly's" - How many times have we all either heard that or said it?  Probably because in retrospect - it does!   Getting ready today for the road-trip to this ride, I had to go back & look to see when we'd attended for the first time.  I'd heard rumors about how tough the ride was, but it wasn't too far & it looked to be located in the middle of some beautiful country.

This was the best year that I had with Jas.  At twelve, it was her sixth year of competition, she'd completed three-50's so far this season, but it had cost her with continuing concussion cracking on both front feet.  I decided to drop down to the 25 since I had no idea what the footing would be, but expected it to be rocky.
We're Off!
Jas was an incredibly driven mare.  She was so tough & so game to win, that she was sometimes impossible!  Just a small part of why I loved her so very much...  This ride, she let me know - I was just a passenger & she was the one in charge.  OK - she knew the game well enough by now & would be surprised at the shorter distance!
We're a blur!  :-)
 I let her Go!  Go she did!  Staying right up front, right into the out check.  I do remember some amazing views & incredible climbs!  I had to stop once & put the saddle back where it went, even with a breast collar!
Waiting for the timer's OK to leave!
I don't remember how many miles we had left, but we flew.  It was a very hot year, there was no water on the trail, so when we came to the last water tank, there were thirsty horses surrounding it.  Jas pushed her way between two - stuck her nose in the water, took three big gulps - backed out & took OFF!  She knew - even if I didn't - that camp was Close!  We crossed the finish line in first place!  The rest of the top five hot on our heels.

Then... I made the mistake - having ridden 50's & not an LD for quite a while...  We walked directly over to the water tank as the second place rider crossed the finish line.  Before I knew what was happening, I heard  that rider call out for a pulse!  Oh No!  Gail looked up from her seat at the timers table - realized that I hadn't remembered to ask for a pulse & came running at me with a stethoscope!   In seconds & just tenth of a second behind - she yelled "Down"!  My error cost me first place.  It's a lesson I never forgot.  Our time was darn fast though - 2:52!
Jas & Glenda at Renegade
I'd just purchased Glenda, she'd come along for the camping experience!  :-)   There's no picture of us at the finish.  Glenda went on to become a 3,000-mile mare after I sold her to a friend.  (Her story is something for another post.)

Renegade became one of my favorite rides.  It was where Glenda did her second fifty & even in the years when I melted from the heat, I have to say that it's always a pleasure to attend.   Many thanks to Gail & her stalwart crew of volunteers for keeping this Washington ride on the ride calendar for all these years & hopefully many more to come!

1 comment:

  1. 2:52 at Renegade? I literally can not imagine going that fast on those trails! You are one brave lady. :)

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~